HSP gives HOPE, inspires CHANGE, and provides OPPORTUNITY by mobilizing our community in the fight against poverty.
Community Action Agency
As a Community Action Agency, we
accomplish our mission through outreach,
advocacy, and over 15 different programs,
not only in Westminster, but throughout
Carroll County. HSP is a member of the
national Community Action Partnership.
Human Services Programs of Carroll
County, Inc. was founded as a shelter for
women and children in 1987
by Sylvia Canon Haines.
Sylvia worked for the Department of
Social Services in Carroll County prior to
founding HSP. She had a gift for seeing the
gaps in services available to the community
and helped create several area non-profits.
Over the past 30 years, HSP has developed
programming in four different program areas
to continue with its initial philosophy of filling in
the gaps in services available to meet the
needs of the Carroll County community.
HSP Board of Directors
As a private, non-profit corporation, HSP is governed under by-laws established by a policy-setting, volunteer Board of Directors. The Board meets on the third Thursday of each month and the meetings are open to the public. HSP is the County’s designated Community Action Agency. As such, one-third of the Board is comprised of representatives of low-income people, one-third elected officials and one-third from the community at-large.
- Robert L. Miller – President
- Perry L. Jones – Vice President
- Marlene Duff – Secretary
- Andrew Dodge – Treasurer
- Diane Foster
- Velma Green
- Leza Griffith
- Jean Lewis
- Rickey Pauley
- Kimberlee Schultz
- Stacia Smith
- Chief Jeffrey Spaulding
- Frank Valenti
- Lynn Wheeler
- Missie Wilcox
HSP Leadership Team
- Angela Gustus, MPA, Executive Director
- Joyce Tierney, Director of Family Support Programs
- Colleen Baumgartner, Director of Grants & Budgets
- Corina Canon, Director of Shelter & Housing Programs
- Beverly Davis, Fiscal Officer
- Ruth Carski, CPA
- Matt Peregoy, Director of Marketing & Outreach
- Jennifer Graybill, Director of Workforce Development Programs
- Gail Bradley, Director of Human Resources
- Scott Yard, Director of Emergency & Prevention Programs
- Ray Duvall, Operations Manager
For a copy of HSP’s most recent fiscal year audit, please contact our Director of Marketing & Outreach at 410-857-2999 x6648.
- United Way of Central Maryland – 4685
- Combined Charity Campaign – 4685
- Combined Federal Campaign – 61518